Monday, April 19, 2010

family supper

My daughter, son-in-law and grandkids came for Sunday night supper after a long day at soccer games. I put out some red bean pate with crackers and in a few minutes we sat down to our informal dinner. Oven-fried chicken, my most often prepared rendition, which I'd come upon a few years ago while reading Amanda Hesser's delightful "Cooking For Mr. Latte." I brine the chicken for several hours (I used all thighs), then tossed it in flour to which I'd added a nice amount of lemon zest and some grated parmesan. Then into a hot pan with a bit of melted butter and baked till crispt. As accompaniments, roasted carrots and broccoli, the latter roasted with thin-sliced garlic and some red pepper flakes. Garlic bread, hot and crisp-crusted completed our dinner - except for dessert. Malted blondies, served warm, the chocolate bits within oozing slightly and on the side, a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Comfort food, with loving family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog