Sunday, March 31, 2013

movie night


Four of us gathered for a movie I'd rented - Kinky Boots - wonderfully entertaining. My daughter arrived with pots of miniature daffodils and Dick and Richard brought wine and a pot of marvelously fragrant lavender hyacinths. They brought to mind a poem I'd seen a few years ago by the Gulistan of Maslih:"If of thy mortal store thou art bereft
And from thy slender store,
Two loaves alone to thee are left
Sell one and with the dole
Buy hyacinth to feed the soul."

Intimations of spring raise my spirits and inform my menu choices. Dinner last evening was simple - we started with a creamy hummus  and sat down to a big tossed salad made with mixed greens, fennel, belgian endive and baby cucumbers.Hot and crisp garlic bread paintged with a garlic puree I keep on hand in the fridge.And a vegetarian pastitsio. We watched the movie and after I served dessert, a nut-laden apple cake, as good for breakfast as for dinner. We talked a lot, laughed a lot - good friends and good food, what could be better -

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog