Saturday, November 7, 2009

dinner for a friend

yesterday, after a morning of grocery shopping and errands I returned home to prepare dinner to bring a friend,a dear man who is dealing with his typical grace with a terminal illness. He mentioned several times that his wife and he eat very small meals, so I decided on turkey meat loaves baked in small bread pans - they are moist and flavorful and I utilized some of the thyme still flourishing in my waning herb garden. Along with the meat loaves, room temperature yukon gold potatoes, dressed while still warm with chicken broth, a bit of white wine, tarragon vinegar and olive oil. A small handful of parsley, and voila. Leftovers are wonderful the next day, sauteed and served with any meal, even breakfast. I bagged some mesclun and included a jar of mustardy salad dressing.A couple of sourdough rolls, then dessert - a simple, delicious honey pound cake, and a fruit cocktail to go with it - raspberries, blackberries, red grapes and fresh pineapple. This was a meal truly prepared with love.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Elsa,

    Your daughter-in-law, Kimberly, is a dear friend of mine from the marriage ministry we're both involved in. We're (my husband and I) still getting to know Joshua and he seems like wonderful man and, we both agree, he looks just like you!

    Kimberly just told me this evening about your blog and, being a foodie myself, I had to jump on over to take a look. I can just taste everything! The way you prepared the yukon golds for your friend sounds divine and so simple. I'm definitely going to make them. It reminds me of a warm potato salad that I made a couple of years ago that incorporated gorgonzola cheese, bacon and carmelized onions - delicious.

    I have two new cookbooks that I'm really wanting to cook something from, BLUE EGGS & YELLOW TOMATOES and FALLING CLOUDBERRIES. Just the names alone drew me to them though the recipes are divine. Can't wait.

    I'm hosting a holiday cookie exchange party in a couple of weeks. Do you have any tried and true cookies that you love to make? I've got all of these ideas swirling around in my head...I'm thinking of something with cardamom and orange zest or orange flower water. GREAT COOKIES by Carole Walter has many wonderful recipes. Also saw a black forest crackle that looked interesting.

    Looking forward to reading more of what you're cookin' up. Did you see Julie and Julia?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments on my blog