Tuesday, January 12, 2010

cooking lesson

I offered to give a friend a few cooking lessons so that she could master some techniques and feel more self-confident in the kitchen. For our first lesson, I chose a mediterranean chicken dish, sauteed thighs atop a melange of sauteed onion, garlic, lemon zest and seasonings, mixed with green olives and dried apricots,chicken stock and white wine, with a bit of cider vineage. This was then baked in its skillet. A perfect dish for a cold, wintry night. We prepared brown rice to be served with it, enabling me to demonstrate my way of cooking all rices, using a large amount of boiling water, as I would for pasta. This method ensures each grain emerging separate and fluffy. We also prepared tsatziki, to serve with toasted pita chips before dinner. I've found a brand of pita called Atis which lend themselves particularly well to making thin chips. I brush them with olive oil and zaatar before baking for just five or six minutes, and they stay crisp for several days in a tightly sealed baggie.We had a good time, the chicken was delicious and she took home dinner for that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog