Thursday, June 3, 2010

beautiful berries

I just made my first strawberry shortcake of the season, with locally grown berries the color of rubies and so sweet they required almost no sugar. My mouth watered at the prospect,as it does every year;I could, if I permitted myself,make an entire meal of it. I made tender biscuits scented with lemon zest and while they were baking I crushed half the berries, leaving the rest whole. I added a bit of sugar and a hit of lemon juice and left the mixture on the kitchen table, as I wanted the berries at room temperature. The biscuits came out of the oven, I whipped an indulgent bowlful of heavy cream, split the biscuits, ladles berries over the bottom half, them some berry juice over the top, and passed the whipped cream. Aah, heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on my blog